With the hustle and bustle of the Holidays, it is nice to curl up with your child, take a deep breath, and enjoy some quiet time with books. Here are some do’s and don’ts for making book time an enjoyable, language learning experience for your child this holiday season and beyond.
• Do find time daily to read with your child.
• Don’t be afraid to read the same books over and over again.
• Do follow your child’s lead when reading, allowing your child a chance to show you or tell you what she finds interesting.
• If it is hard to get your child engaged in a book, try books with real photos, interactive parts (e.g., flaps that open, touch and feel), or books with a sing song or repetitive rhythm.
• Don’t feel the need to read every word on the page, especially in longer books.
• Do Prompt your child to talk about the book by asking questions, making comments, relating personal experiences, or letting the child fill in the blank.
• Do try reading some winter book favorites such as The Snowy Day, The Hat, The Mitten
- Amanda Seligman